On March 25, the Provincial Health Officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry, issued a Variance of her Gatherings and Events Order, to permit indoor worship services on four days between March 28 and May 13. At a meeting on March 26, the Mountainview Session voted to open for public indoor worship on the four Sundays in April, which includes an Easter Sunday April 4 communion service.
April services will commence at 10:00 am and will continue to be live-streamed on Facebook and YouTube. If you have any health concerns, or simply do not feel comfortable engaging in communal worship, we invite you to remain home and continue to worship virtually with us on social media. Persons over 70 years of age (even if immunized against Covid-19) or with an underlying medical condition or compromised immune system, are cautioned about attending in person due to their higher risk of suffering from serious complications of Covid-19.
If you do wish to worship at the church during April, the Variance to the public health Order has laid out Covid-19 safety requirements which all must observe:
- Maximum of 50 persons in the worship space
- Persons wishing to attend must carry out and pass, in advance, a Covid health check (see www.worksafebc.com)
- Persons attending must register by providing their names, telephone numbers and email addresses to the greeting Elder upon entry to the church. This information is for controlling attendance and contact tracing
- Hand sanitizer will be available and its use is encouraged
- Maintain a distance of 2 metres from others, unless they live in the same residence
- All participants 12 years of age and older must wear a face covering while in the church
- Participants in the congregation may not sing
- There can be no indoor gathering or social engagement with others during, before or after the worship service. We will not be able to have “greeting time” or “passing of the peace”
- Offering plates will be available upon entry and exit, but will not be passed around during the worship service
Session realizes that these requirements restrict some of our normal worship practices. However, they are designed for our personal health and safety and are the law we are accountable for.
There will be a program for children during the worship service, which will be offered out of doors, weather permitting. Children should enter the church through the entrance door facing Glenmore.
We will be offering a live-streamed only worship service at 10:00 am on Good Friday April 2, and we invite you to worship on-line with us on that day. During May, Session is evaluating whether to offer an outdoor worship service. Watch for more details!
Thank you for your continued patience and support during these unprecedented times. Our God is in control and we celebrate the incredible grace He provides to us through His Son’s death and resurrection at Easter.
On behalf of the Session of Mountainview Church
Michael Pohanka, Clerk of Session